Loni Kaplan, a veteran organizer of the Spelling Bee in the Tampa Bay area for the last five years, will be our announcer. LIFE of Tampa is delighted to collaborate with Loni to keep the Bee going in our area, and is grateful for her experienced guidance. In keeping with previous practice, participants will not be divided into grade or age levels, but will compete together, in the style of the regional competition in March. There is no minimum grade level for participation.
To prepare for both the local and regional Bee, participants should be thoroughly familiar with the 2011 Spell It! words, which are available online at http://www.myspellit.com/ . The Scripps National Spelling Bee's official reference is Webster's Third New International Dictionary, unabridged, copyright 2002, Merriam-Webster, Inc. All words on lists published by the Scripps National Spelling Bee may be found in Webster's Third. Please note that all participants should read and be aware of the Rules for Local Spelling Bees. All participants will also receive study guides .
Registration is open through December 31, 2010. We ask a contribution of $5 per participant at the time of registration, to help defray associated Bee costs, via a donation to Network for Good, or with a check to Learning is for Everyone , the parent non-profit supporter of LIFE of Tampa (email for address). Please note "LIFE of Tampa Spelling Bee" in memo section.
- December 31, 2010 - Deadline to register for the LIFE of Tampa Spelling Bee
- January 2011 - LIFE of Tampa Spelling Bee - exact date and location TBA
- February 11, 2011 - Deadline to conduct a school spelling bee
- February 11, 2011 - Deadline to register your school bee champion for the 2011 Tampa Bay Area Regional Spelling Bee
- March 5, 2011 - 2011 Tampa Bay Area Regional Spelling Bee at Admiral Farragut Academy's Chapel