Team Duct Tape #2845, an award winning FIRST Tech Challenge ( FTC) community based robotics team based in
FIRST Tech Challenge is a mid-level robotics competition for high-school students. The ultimate goal of FTC is to engage youth in discovering the excitement and rewards of science, technology, and engineering.
Team Duct Tape in its community based focus, is open to public, private and homeschooled youth from the Odessa area who otherwise might not have access to higher level math, science and technology programs.
In its Rookie season this past year, Team Duct Tape brought home:
- The Inspire Award , for best all-round team, in its first qualifying competition
- The Think Award for the Best Engineering Notebook
- Two Winning Alliance Awards, as captains
- And the Finalist Alliance Award in the Florida State Championship held at USF in February, ranking 9th of 24 teams from across the state.
The team is sponsored, in part, by the non-profit education resource organization, Learning is for Everyone, which believes that high quality STEM education should be accessible to all youth, and that all young people, boys and especially girls, with an interest in math, science, and technology should have an opportunity to express and explore those interests. LIFE Inc. seeks to bring high school level robotics as within reach as Scouting, and to make it as commonplace, accessible and fun as a pick up game of basketball.
Team Duct Tape is also sponsored by the Florida West Coast Section of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, who have assisted financially, with mentoring and training.
Opportunities coming up for students this summer include:
- ProEngineer CAD design training
- Game demonstration at the PTC Users World Event in
in June Orlando
- Tour of Electronic Arts in
- Hosting FIRST LEGO League Summer camps
Please visit our website at www.TeamDuctTape.com to learn more and to download an application. New member applications will be accepted through August.
Learning is For Everyone, Inc. is a nonprofit 501 C(3) organization whose goal is to provide information resources on and off the web, and assistance through its activities in all aspects of education at all stages of life.